Saturday, January 16, 2016

Steve Jobs (2015)



Synopsis: 'Steve Jobs' takes us behind the scenes of the digital revolution, to paint a portrait of the man at its epicenter. The story unfolds backstage at three iconic product launches, ending in 1998 with the unveiling of the iMac. (From IMDB)

Watched: Capitol Theatre (1/9/16)

Review: I was determined to hate this film.  I hate movies centered on assholes (white cis male assholes to be more specific but that’s an entirely different email), I’m sick of hearing about Steve Jobs, I am skeptical of the quality of any film with Seth Rogan in it, and Michael Fassbender scares me (his presents exudes a kind of violence).  But I really, really liked this film, and this is me coming to terms with it.

I would start by arguing that it’s not really a film at all, but more like a play crafted for film.  From its structure: the story broken into three acts all based around product launches and everyone who’s relevant to the story will expound there.  To the fact that the story is entirely dialogue driven and visual language, the crux of narrative film, is largely absent (there are some stylistic choices I’ll talk about later).  It’s also a biopic that has little use for realism (even by biopic standards) so it never feels formulaic.  No wonder ‘Jobs' has been having a hard time gaining an audience, oddball dialog driven movies are generally frowned upon.  Unless your dialog happens to be really fucking good.  

Anyone who’s seen the ‘West Wing’ knows what you’re getting into with an Aaron Sorkin script.  It’s heady, self-referential, and loaded with wit.  Nobody really talks like that in real life but I kinda wish they did; and this film's script is no exception.  I loved it because characters talk about the technical aspects of the Apple II (nerd alert!), this is a script that treats you like you're smart.  It doesn’t talk down to you…unlike Steve Jobs.   

Which brings me to characterization.  Steve Jobs is an asshole but he’s not an antihero and I don’t feel like your suppose to condone his behavior.  Jobs however never has that epiphany about his behavior either.  There’s something oddly satisfying and ultimately more human about that to me.

Visually speaking ‘Jobs’ is filmed in 16mm, 35mm, and digitally, with obvious change overs (meant to reflect the technologies of the 70s, 80s, and late 90s). It's a nice touch.  

I find it funny that this movie, more than any other film I've watched lately seems so subjective.  Everything that I found enjoyable in this film could be a death knell for someone else.  And at the end of the day that's alright.  If it call to you go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment